Yes, it’s a little into August already but I rung in this month on vacation in Chicago with my two best friends. This month has been all about crazy adventures, music festivals, brunching in Parisian cafes, and soaking in as much of the summer sun as possible. I’m a little sad that the most summery summer month is over, but since Autumn is my favorite season I can’t wait for what’s to come!
- The Starbound Series: Oh my. I read the first three books in this series back in high school and fell deeply in love with the fantastic, intergalactic adventures these characters had. A couple weeks ago, I realized the fourth book had been released. Each one is better than the next. Lilac and Tarver, Jubilee and Flynn, Sofia and Gideon; each novel features a new set of characters that are all connected to each other and are fighting the same battle. There is amazing writing, palpable emotion, and breathtaking adventure. Just go read it. Seriously.
- Dreamology: Alice and Max are connected in a way that no one can explain, growing up in each other’s dreams, until they stumble upon an experimental science lab that might hold all the answers. Trouble begins when these two start losing their grasp on reality and their dreams bleed into waking life. The whole thing is mysterious and imaginative and super yummy (you’ll see what I mean). It’s just a really fun book!
- Gala Darling: I’ve talked about her blog and her book countless times in my videos, but she is such a wealth of sparkly inspiration that I can never say enough. If you need a pep talk or are trying to break out of a rut, she’s your girl. One of her recent articles talks about how perfection is extremely limiting, which is something I’ve been grappling with for a long time. The immense pressure for perfection and professionalism from young women is one of the main reasons I wanted to start this ‘Sloppy’ movement. It’s okay to mess up sometimes. It’s actually a really, really good thing.
- The Katy Project: I’m a big fan of Katy Bellotte. Last month’s favorites featured one of her YouTube videos and this month we’re featuring her blog. Do you ever read or watch what someone’s created and just know you two would befriends? She just wrote an article about posing on social media that is remarkably similar to what I feel is the big problem with things like Instagram. She’s so open and vulnerable that reading her work is as natural as having a conversation.
- Bodysuits: I was never a big fan of bodysuits until I walked into Urban Outfitters and spotted this low-cut, babydoll pink one peeking out from a tattered pair of jeans. I knew instantly that it was meant to belong to me and I’ve been rocking it ever since.
- Overalls: Overalls, dungarees, whatever you call them I finally bought a pair! I’ve spent the last two years searching for the perfect pair of black overalls, dreaming about layering them with sweaters and chunky doc martens. A week ago, I walked into Topshop and BAM they were right in front of me. It was a blow to the wallet, but this is something I’ll be wearing for years to come.
- Rings: I have a couple staple necklaces and a watch that I wear every day, but other than that I’m not a big jewelry person. Actually, the only jewelry that I really get excited about are rings. It’s taken me years to amass my collection, but now I wear a silver ring on every finger and I’m looking to add a couple midi rings to the party. Ever since I first watched ‘Friends’ and saw Phoebe’s rings, I’ve been fascinated by the look.
- Short Hair: Early July, I found myself sitting in my stylist’s chair, prepared for my typical trim and highlight. But, when my mouth opened, I told her to chop it all off. Two hours later, my long curls were suddenly sitting right above my chin. My hair was the longest it had been in years but all of a sudden my long hair felt stifling and I wanted a drastic change. Currently, I’m loving it (and the shorter shower time)!
- Vegan Avocado Pesto: I found the base recipe for this on pinterest and adapted it to what I liked. Avocado, garlic, red pepper flakes, sundried tomatoes, and fresh basil make this delicious spread. My favorite way to eat it is tossed with whole wheat pasta, hot or cold. It seriously tastes like a fancy Italian dish except it’s healthy and takes less than twenty minutes to make.
- Vegan Ginger Cookies: The only thing I like about going grocery shopping is getting to buy myself four of these cookies from Whole Foods. They’re chewy and soft and have that perfect balance of spicy ginger and sweet molasses. They pair wonderfully with coffee and I almost always eat all four in one sitting. Stupidly delicious.
- Mochi Ice Cream: Two weeks ago I had a dream about these and since then I’ve bought (and consumed) four boxes from Trader Joes. My favorite flavors are mango and strawberry, but they also offer ones in chocolate and green tea. The rice dough sticks to your fingers in the most fun way and the ice cream is fruity and creamy.
- Blackberries: Fruit is always a favorite, but something about blackberries this month have really hit the spot. They’re a little on the expensive side so I only buy one carton a week, but I love starting my mornings with eggs, coffee, and a bowl full of fresh blackberries. It just sets the mood for the rest of my day.
- IT’S ALMOST BACK TO SCHOOL! Annemarie tells you guys ten things you should splurge on coming into college and I’m on board with her list:
- Few people have the guts to pack all their things, buy a one-way ticket, and move to a new city with no apartment and no plan. Emma talks about her first week after doing just this:
- Katherine opens up about her friend’s suicide and the dangers of mental health in her incredibly vulnerable video (warning: I did start crying):
- Kenna is so adorable and I’m a huge planner nerd so this video is just heaven:
My favorite melodies this month: